Thursday, November 1, 2007

Celebrating the Saints

Today, November 1, is All Saints Day - perhaps my favorite Holy Day of the year. As a Church, we remember two distinct but intimately related things on this day: 1) we remember the holy men and women of every time and place, the official Saints of the Church, and 2) we remind ourselves that all people are called to be saints, to live holy lives as children of God.

I am often asked if I have a favorite Saint. My typical response to this question is that there are so many wonderful Saints whom I connect with, that it is impossible for me to single out one or even a few. But there certainly are several Saints I am continually drawn to. So, in no particular order, here are some of my favorite Saints:

St. John Baptist de la Salle
St. Catherine of Siena
St. Meinrad
St. Charles Borromeo
St. Cecilia
St. Gregory the Great
St. Benedict
St. Katharine Drexel
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
St. Lucy

For a wealth of on-line information on the Saints, visit the Patron Saints Index. Here you can find biographies, pictures, information on patron saints, and much more.

Who are some of your favorite Saints?

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I think that favorite saints tell a lot about a person. My favorite saints are Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Catherine of Sienna, St. Therese, St. Theodora, St. Anthony, St. Frnacis of Assisi, and St. Faustina. They have become like family to me. I love reading their writings and calling on them in need.