Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Philadelphia Saints

I spent last week in Philadelphia visiting college friends from my days at La Salle University. While I was there, I also visited the shrines of the two canonized Saints who called Philadelphia home: St. Katharine Drexel and St. John Neumann. I wrote about the lives of these Saints in my weekly bulletin letter for November 18, which can be found on the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish website. Here are pictures of the final resting places of these two Saints. First, St. Katharine Drexel, who is buried in a stone sarcophagus in a small chapel beneath the main chapel at the motherhouse of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, the order she founded, in Bensalem, PA.

Here is the final resting place of St. John Neumann, who is buried in a glass casket underneath the main altar in the crypt church of St. Peter Church in Philadelphia.


There are few opportunities in this country to visit shrines of canonized Saints, but Philadelphia has been blessed with these two great Christian witnesses.

No comments: