Friday, January 18, 2008

Classroom Visits

In many ways, this week has been a teaching week. This morning, I began my spring semester round of classroom visits with all of the classes in our parish school. I try to have a formal visit for a question-and-answer session with each class at least twice a year, in addition to regular informal visits. Today I began this series of visits with our second grade, the class that is in the process of preparing for First Communion.

At the end of the visit, I told the second graders how impressed I was with their questions - they are really a group of young theologians with wonderful, often deep, questions about God and the faith. Here are some of the questions they asked:

- If God created all of us, who created God?
- If no one created God, what was God like before he created anything?
- Did heaven exist before God created anything?
- Did God make the devil? If so, did the devil already have horns? (That has to be one of the most unique questions I have ever been asked!)
- What will the world be like when Jesus comes again?
- What will we be like when Jesus comes again? Where will we live? How old will we be? Will we be able to walk through walls?

These are great adult questions, and even more so coming from 7-year-olds! If you want to know the answers, ask our second graders!

No comments: